I was trying to explain to someone that hiring Rich Rodriguez, unquestionably one of the top coaches in all of college football, was not Michigan's most significant off-season upgrade. My argument was limp and unconvincing, largely because I didn't have the right backup. Thankfully, the internet is here to help out. I'll start with this piece from the Times West Virginian:
It is not meant to belittle the effect of the defection of West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez to Michigan, but if I were to tell you that his departure may not be the most difficult for the school's athletic department to withstand you may think that I spent a little too much time this week in Kentucky with my old friend Jack Daniels.
Yet that may be the case. As much as Rodriguez was the architect of the revival of WVU football, converting it into a national power, there was someone on his staff who may have laid the foundation not only for the football renaissance but for the rise of the school's other sports programs.
That person was Mike Barwis, who served as the director of strength and conditioning at the school, which meant that he supervised the entire Mountaineer strength program.
Okay, so big deal. Right? Wrong. Before I go any further, I need to note the fact that Michigan has been using the same S&C program it ran when Bo Schembechler was hired; only one other program in the country still uses it, and I doubt you'll be surprised when I tell you that it's Penn State, coached by octogenarian Joe Paterno. Anyway, the same article does a good job of explaining why S&C (and Barwis, specifically) is so important:
Let us first understand that in the field of athletics in this modern era, it is the strength coach who becomes closest to the athletes. In truth, [Barwis] spends far more time with them than does the head coach, who has duties recruiting and raising funds in the off-season while Barwis is running them up law school hill or devising other devilish programs that are meant to build both physical and mental strength.
But Barwis always finds time to reach each player on a personal level. He is a brother to some, father to other, priest to those who need some spiritual guidance and warden, if necessary.
It is difficult to imagine what it is like to be cooped up in a weight room with Barwis, who is hard as granite and wound so tight that he literally can't take a break from his routine. If you think you get a jolt out of 5-Hour Energy Drink, get yourself a transfusion of Barwis' blood, if you can get him to lie still on a table long enough to part with it.
Those are some strong words. But you know what's crazy? They don't do the guy justice. Upon being hired by Michigan, Barwis answered questions at his introductory presser about the changes he would implement...
Whoa. Intensity in ten cities, as Wayne Campbell would say. The Freep abides:
When Rich Rodriguez interviewed for the Michigan football coaching job, he knew little about the Wolverines' inner workings.
Yet, despite scant firsthand knowledge of the strength-and-conditioning program, he asked for and received a significant amount of money to improve it.
That's why the weight room downstairs in Schembechler Hall was virtually empty Friday -- new equipment is en route -- and upstairs, new strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis was holding court on his relentless approach.
"I hope none of us scare them off," said Barwis, who leads a staff of six. "I hope all the kids here want to be a part of the program and work to achieve their goals. ...I love them all like they're my children, but I'm going to be hard on them -- I'm hard on my children.
Tip of the iceberg, people. Here's Barwis The Destroyer amping up the Mountaineers before their thrashing of Oklahoma in the 2008 Fiesta Bowl [ed. note: it's not as long as the last clip, which was a full press conference]:
Jeebus. I cream my pants every time I watch footage of Mike Barwis. I wish I had that clip on hand when I was trying to make my point the other day. Although, things might have gotten messy.
UPDATE (8:36 PM): I forgot to include one related quote regarding the coaching transition and a subject of major worry to me (former players feeling welcome and comfortable with the new regime). Leave it to RichRod to assuage my concern:
In an effort to introduce himself and his staff to former Michigan players, Rodriguez plans to host an event in Ann Arbor in February.
"I want to meet all the guys that played here. I didn't play here, so I didn't know a lot of them. But I know how much pride they have in this place, and I want to meet 'em and talk to 'em, and I want to make sure all the former players feel welcome coming back here, and I think they will once they meet all the staff members."
Music to my ears.
No comments:
Post a Comment